Saturday, January 26, 2013

Concept and Processes: Moving Forward!

I am inspired to work towards creating lifesize human figure sculptures that are clear, and which are permeated structurally by living trees outdoors. I will create nests inside and outside the figure's bounds which create a parallel and fluid internal and external space, where people can 'read' space differently, and then read the objects placed inside these nests tactile-ly, to experience them in the same way that they became integral and sacred to the human form represented. I want to create a kind of explorative and kinship experience by using the human form, to allow for 'readers' to see themselves being reflected in this human form-- the internal space made visible, the living, branching creative self ever-rooting and ever-extending itself into spheres, but always the most important remains untapped in the space between these extensions, and can only be accessed in the same invisible, wordless emotional realm in which they remain.

I am inspired by George Segal's lifesize figure sculptures and process, with the physical casting:





I will set out first to create a self-portrait as an experiment for this project, and then proceed from there as to whether to journey into the 'friends in trees' aspect, where multiple figures in trees would make a more dynamic interaction between figures themselves as well.

Example of face casting wiht plaster of paris:


 I will do this for my entire body as two halves: one for the front and one for the back. Then I will take these on-site to a designated tree and map out where I need to make holes in the cast for branches, so that the figure will literally be incorporated into the living tree. I will make the necessary cuts and holes, and then use this cast to create a plaster mold in as many parts as necessary, and then use that plaster mold to create a clear acrylic mold. This is all subject to change as I experiment with the mediums and research processes further.

Here are some very basic sketches I did in class the other day:


No comments:

Post a Comment